~~ Classical Music Mayhem!! ~~

The classical music forum where the MUSIC comes first!
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Classical Music Mayhem!! The multi-media Classical Music Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You can browse the topics in most of the forums but by joining our free community you will have full access to post messages and create topics; download attachments; communicate privately with other members (PM), email and chat room; respond to polls; upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

You can log in as soon as you have submitted your registration, no waiting for email confirmation.

Post subject: WQXR.ORG BACH 360
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:24 pm 
MAJOR
MAJOR

Next week WQXR.ORG will schedule ten days of all J.S.Bach March21-31 that promises to play all his output.

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/series/bach-360/

De gustibus non est disputandum

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: WQXR.ORG BACH 360
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm 
JOVE THE MIGHTY THUNDERER

That's a good classial station, but non-stop Bach for ten days? I doubt even Polly could take that much Bach! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:32 am 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Hi TMT,

Ahem!!! It seems that Jove's mischievous streak has been given free reign and poor little old Polly is the target!!!!! :)

Picking myself up and dusting myself down, I have to agree that the wall to wall Bach programme proposed by the radio station seems to be overkill.

I am an admirer of J.S.Bach's music, but I like to hear other music too, so continuous Bach for a prolong period would pall.

For instance, on Tuesday night Bach/ Vivaldi organ transpositions led me to listening to some other very pleasant music by Vivaldi.

One video clip was entitled "Vivaldi Virtuoso", a live performance by Fabio Biondi and the Ensemble Europa Galante from the Baroque Festival at Ambronay, September 2010. Also two arias were beautifully sung sung by the Italian soprano Gemma Bertagnolli whilst accompanied by the Ensemble.This 44 minute video was great to both watch and listen to and the soprano's singing was impressive.

I shall be checking out this NY. radio station, but my listening will be selective---providing that I can access their channel!

Regards,

Polly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:37 pm 
MAJOR
MAJOR

I am listening to WQXR today and am enjoying the Bach 360. Hopefully no one here is having internet problems receiving the web feed today.

I did not realize that the music for the Agnus Dei from the B minor Mass is also used in the Ascension Oratorio BWV 11. It seems Bach was not above borrowing from himself as well as other composers such as Vivaldi. This was first alluded to in Polly's Bach Organ CMM thread.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:28 pm 

Digiti wrote:
I am listening to WQXR today and am enjoying the Bach 360. Hopefully no one here is having internet problems receiving the web feed today.

I did not realize that the music for the Agnus Dei from the B minor Mass is also used in the Ascension Oratorio BWV 11. It seems Bach was not above borrowing from himself as well as other composers such as Vivaldi. This was first alluded to in Polly's Bach Organ CMM thread.

Bach borrowed from more than just himself and Vivaldi. Such behaviour is used against Handel and turned a blind eye to with Bach, but these things trouble me not, it is the bigger creative picture that is important. Are they playing the music in order or composition, or grouped by genre, or some more random method?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:42 pm 
MAJOR
MAJOR

Dear Rod,

The music definitely is not being played in order of composition, but a mixture of Cantatas, Partitas,Orchestral Suites with some arrangements/transcriptions for brass and piano etc.

It has been a very enjoyable experience and I have not been motivated to break out the big brass band Mahler, Beethoven or Bruckner from my collection today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:06 pm 

pollyp78 wrote:
Hi TMT,

Ahem!!! It seems that Jove's mischievous streak has been given free reign and poor little old Polly is the target!!!!! :)

Picking myself up and dusting myself down, I have to agree that the wall to wall Bach programme proposed by the radio station seems to be overkill.

I am an admirer of J.S.Bach's music, but I like to hear other music too, so continuous Bach for a prolong period would pall.

Mischievous maybe but, as your own words testify, also correct! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 pm 

Digiti wrote:
Dear Rod,

The music definitely is not being played in order of composition, but a mixture of Cantatas, Partitas,Orchestral Suites with some arrangements/transcriptions for brass and piano etc.

It has been a very enjoyable experience and I have not been motivated to break out the big brass band Mahler, Beethoven or Bruckner from my collection today.

Fair enough. I guess it is wise to mix the genres up a bit. On my audio player I listen to Beethoven roughly in order of composition apart from some late entries I couldn't be bothered to index, but with Handel I mix the genres and am less concerned about order of composition. That said, I wouldn't find it a chore to listen to 40 Handel operas one after the other!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 pm 
2nd LIEUTENANT
2nd LIEUTENANT

This festival is the SECOND 10-day round-the-clock festival devoted to Bach's music within one year by a New York City FM station. The other is a Christmas week program put on by Columbia University student-run station WKCR-FM (and on the internet at wkcr.org). Thus we now have twenty days and nights of non-stop Bach within one year on NYC FM and internet. No other composer can come close. The WKCR festival has been on at Christmas time for many years, and I hope the WQXR festival will be repeated regularly also.

After having listened to Bach for over 50 years, I find it amazing that during this festival, at least three or four times a day I encounter a work I have not heard before that knocks me over with its bright freshness and greatness. (The cursed Internet makes it all too easy to click thru and spend too much of one's hard-earned money on new CDs and mp3 tracks.)

Also I find that listening most of the day, after a couple of days, lifts one one into a kind of spiritual stratosphere where one remains all week. (This is spiritual with a small s, as I am an atheist.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:37 pm 
MAJOR
MAJOR

Dear Chaszz,

I did not know about the yearly WKCR Bach marathon at Christmas. Next year I will have give it a listen.

Meanwhile the WQXR Bach 360 is winding down and they played one of my favorite cantatas today Wachet Auf 140. I have the radio tuned to that station 24/7 to keep me sane.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 pm 

Digiti wrote:
Dear Charszz,

I did not know about the yearly WKCR Bach marathon at Christmas. Next year I will have give it a listen.

Meanwhile the WQXR Bach 360 is winding down and they played one of my favorite cantatas today Wachet Auf 140. I have the radio tuned to that station 24/7 to keep me sane.

We have to date no less than 39 indexed topics on Bach's church cantatas with more to come, I suspect more than any other general CM forum, and yet scant interest has been shown in most of them. Perhaps this music isn't as popular as the New York Radio producers imagine?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:10 pm 
2nd LIEUTENANT
2nd LIEUTENANT

Digiti wrote:
Dear Charszz,

Start checking wkcr.org about a week before Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:11 pm 
2nd LIEUTENANT
2nd LIEUTENANT

Rod Corkin wrote:
Digiti wrote:
Dear Charszz,

We have to date no less than 39 indexed topics on Bach's church cantatas with more to come, I suspect more than any other general CM forum, and yet scant interest has been shown in most of them. Perhaps this music isn't as popular as the New York Radio producers imagine?

Perhaps people would rather listen to them than read about them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:48 pm 

Chaszz wrote:

Perhaps people would rather listen to them than read about them.

Well that's one way of looking at it, but remember people can listen to them here too...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:41 am 
MAJOR
MAJOR

I am listening to the St. Matthew Passion now in John Eliot Gardiner's version.Some very beautiful music there. I have a very old Karl Richter mono LP version that I have not heard in some time so this is a revelation.

Best Regards and Happy Easter..

Contact Us | All times are UTC