~~ Classical Music Mayhem!! ~~

The classical music forum where the MUSIC comes first!
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 6:41 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Classical Music Mayhem!! The multi-media Classical Music Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You can browse the topics in most of the forums but by joining our free community you will have full access to post messages and create topics; download attachments; communicate privately with other members (PM), email and chat room; respond to polls; upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

You can log in as soon as you have submitted your registration, no waiting for email confirmation.

Post subject: Wagner - Der Fliegende Hollander; The Flying Dutchman
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:06 pm 
MAJOR
MAJOR

From Wikipedia:
The Flying Dutchman (German: Der fliegende Holländer), WWV 63, is a German-language opera, with libretto and music by Richard Wagner.

Wagner claimed in his 1870 autobiography Mein Leben that he had been inspired to write the opera following a stormy sea crossing he made from Riga to London in July and August 1839. In his 1843 Autobiographic Sketch, Wagner acknowledged he had taken the story from Heinrich Heine's retelling of the legend in his 1833 satirical novel The Memoirs of Mister von Schnabelewopski (Aus den Memoiren des Herrn von Schnabelewopski).[1] The central theme is redemption through love.

Wagner conducted the premiere at the Semper Oper in Dresden in 1843. This work shows early attempts at operatic styles that would characterise his later music dramas. In Der fliegende Holländer Wagner uses a number of leitmotifs (literally, "leading motifs") associated with the characters and themes. The leitmotifs are all introduced in the overture, which begins with a well-known ocean or storm motif before moving into the Dutchman and Senta motifs.

Wagner originally wrote the work to be performed without intermission – an example of his efforts to break with tradition – and, while today's opera houses sometimes still follow this directive, it is also performed in a three-act version.

More here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Dutchman_(opera)

English libretto:http://www.impresario.ch/libretto/libwagfli_e.htm

Here is a complete live performance from the Zurich Opera 2013 in excellent audio:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-w38DbJP5KldVhWc2pCQm1mSDg

Here is the video of the same performance:

There are several slight variations in this performance. The opera is in a single act, there is a different ending to the Overture than in concert performances, and the redemption theme does not return at the opera's conclusion.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Wagner - Der Fliegende Hollander; The Flying Dutchman
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:19 pm 
JOVE THE MIGHTY THUNDERER

I've downloaded your recording in two parts, which brought to mind how the piece is presented live? Considering Handel three act operas are regularly reshaped into two parts with one break these days (terribly wrong) I suspect a one act opera that lasts almost four hours would be performed in two sections?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:30 pm 
MAJOR
MAJOR

Dear Rod, The Met usually plays the Dutchman in a single act with no intermission which lasts for about 2i/2 hours. At my age it would be impossible for me to sit that long at a stretch because of back problems and the need to use the bathroom! Years ago I sat for the entire Das Rheingold at a single stretch but I was much younger.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 pm 

Digiti wrote:
Dear Rod, The Met usually plays the Dutchman in a single act with no intermission which lasts for about 2i/2 hours. At my age it would be impossible for me to sit that long at a stretch because of back problems and the need to use the bathroom! Years ago I sat for the entire Das Rheingold at a single stretch but I was much younger.

Yet your video lasts 3hrs 49m mins?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 am 
MAJOR
MAJOR

Rod Corkin wrote:
Digiti wrote:

Yet your video lasts 3hrs 49m mins?

That would make it even worse for me! :P What did you think of the audio on my download?

I asked my friend who attended the recent Met Dutchman what the duration of his performance was. He is a member of CMM so I will get back to you with his reply very soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:45 pm 

Digiti wrote:

That would make it even worse for me! :P What did you think of the audio on my download?

Excellent audio, as is usually the case... you'll have my report hopefully before Christmas!

Digiti wrote:
I asked my friend who attended the recent Met Dutchman what the duration of his performance was. He is a member of CMM so I will get back to you with his reply very soon.

I'm wondering how old one has to be for the matter to become ..er.. problematic?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:14 am 
MAJOR
MAJOR

Dear Rod,

He says two hours and thirty five minutes for his performance. I cannot account for the discrepancy of the YT timing as the Met performance is uncut as far as I can tell..

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:34 am 

Digiti wrote:
Dear Rod,

He says two hours and thirty five minutes for his performance. I cannot account for the discrepancy of the YT timing as the Met performance is uncut as far as I can tell..

In your video the performance actually ends after 2 hrs 19 mins, poor editing going on there. Not hugely long by any means for an opera, but long I guess for one sitting. Easily doable though for committed fans as long as you bring a potty just in case... :D

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 pm 

Here is the overture in mp3 format free and legal for all members to download thanks to . This recording is performed by the Orchestre National de Lille...

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:48 pm 

Rod Corkin wrote:
Digiti wrote:

Excellent audio, as is usually the case... you'll have my report hopefully before Christmas!

Well I've got the first of your two files out of the way before Xmas. I am reminded of remarks I've made previously about Wagner in that he did not compose operas in the usual sense but in effect huge accompagnatos and this one is no different. Will say more when I've finished the second file.

Contact Us | All times are UTC