~~ Classical Music Mayhem!! ~~

The classical music forum where the MUSIC comes first!
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Classical Music Mayhem!! The multi-media Classical Music Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You can browse the topics in most of the forums but by joining our free community you will have full access to post messages and create topics; download attachments; communicate privately with other members (PM), email and chat room; respond to polls; upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

You can log in as soon as you have submitted your registration, no waiting for email confirmation.

Post subject: The pianist Leif Ove Andsnes plays Beethoven.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:21 am 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Leif Ove Andsnes----- Beethoven.

What have I been listening to? Leif Ove Andsnes, the Norwegian pianist, seemed to have crossed my path often enough in recent weeks and my interest was aroused, although I am not usually a great fan of piano performances!

But this pianist was different, as you will have realised if you had seen that I’d outrageously gatecrashed under Judith’s posting about a CD that she’d ordered! I was disappointed that the video I posted hadn’t filmed the performance, although great in musical respects. I’ve probably earned Judith’s ire as well as that of TMT, but I am unrepentant!

Now to soothe TMT, as I came across this short and pleasant video of him not only playing Beethoven, but conducting so very competently. His quiet intensity while playing is evident, with no strong body mannerisms or hand movements. His feelings are very much internalised and expressed through the piano or baton. The music is alive and the orchestra is obviously is in harmony with him.

I was also pleased to come across this video- “A Beethoven Journey”, in which he is accompanied by the Mahler Chamber Orchestra. In it he muses on Beethoven very effectively, I thought, as well as some fine examples played. A very good “listen”!!!

I mean to watch more of his work as the next video about to come up promised some interesting moments!

Leif Ove Andsnes is a thoughtful, quiet man and musician, and his performances reflect this. A musician to be aware of in the future.

One disappointment, though----I wish that he had been playing on the pianoforte because I am sure that he would have brought his usual sensitivity to bear and performed admirably ---but alas he is wedded to Steinway!

Regards,

Polly

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The pianist Leif Ove Andsnes plays Beethoven.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 am 
JOVE THE MIGHTY THUNDERER

Too prim and proper with the first concerto, he fares better with the fifth. He comments regarding Beethoven I of course concur. As for the piano, yes it's part of the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm 

I'm all in favour of the soloist directing the orchestra though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 pm 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Yes, Rod, I do like to see the ensemble/orchestra conducted by the soloist---as per "ancient" tradition!!! It gives an added warmth and closeness because of the rapport achieved between the performers.

I also like to see players glance up and smile as they play a particular part---it means that they are enjoying participating in the performance.

There are some fine instances as you browse the internet.

Regards,

Polly.

Contact Us | All times are UTC