~~ Classical Music Mayhem!! ~~

The classical music forum where the MUSIC comes first!
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Classical Music Mayhem!! The multi-media Classical Music Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You can browse the topics in most of the forums but by joining our free community you will have full access to post messages and create topics; download attachments; communicate privately with other members (PM), email and chat room; respond to polls; upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

You can log in as soon as you have submitted your registration, no waiting for email confirmation.

Post subject: Atterberg - Horn Concerto in A major, Op 28
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:53 am 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Horn Concerto in A major, Op. 28

I. Allegro patetico
II. Adagio
III. Allegro molto

Kurt Magnus Atterberg (12 December 1887 – 15 February 1974) was a Swedish composer and engineer. He is best known for his symphonies, operas, and ballets. The most well known of his compositions is his Symphony No. 6 in C major, Op. 31 'Dollar Symphony' which won the $10,000 prize in the 1928 Columbia Records competition for the best work to mark the centenary of Schuberts death.

Wikipedia

The Horn Concerto, Op 28 was composed in 1926 for French Horn player Axel Malm, at that time a member of the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra. Originally intended to be called a 'Suite Concertante', the work, scored for solo horn, strings, piano and percussion, was premiered on the 27th of March, 1927.

A Romantic, lyrical and somewhat Wagnerian work, the concerto dropped out of favor, but has been recorded by CPO and in 2004 was premiered in the United States by the National Symphony Orchestra under Leonard Slatkin with Martin Hacklemann as the soloist.

What I am presenting below is a live performance recording of the work by the Norwegian Academy of Music Orchestra under Lior Chambadal with Maxim Semenov as soloist.

"Superior music, not a tune to be whistled” - H. Villa-Lobos

"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them." - attr R. Strauss

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Atterberg - Horn Concerto in A major, Op 28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 pm 
JOVE THE MIGHTY THUNDERER
JOVE THE MIGHTY THUNDERER

Not bad, pretty good performance as far I can judge having never heard the music before, a definite workout for the soloist. The music has a definite Scandinavian feel to it too, grand and romantic, though perhaps a little short at 20 mins, but maybe not. I warm more to the thought of a French horn concerto than I do for a trumpet concerto for example, which would be difficult to avoid monotony (to my ears) setting in. I disdain the piano's inclusion in the orchestra, though its use is sensitive here.

Post subject: Re: Atterberg - Horn Concerto in A major, Op 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:59 pm 
COLONEL
COLONEL

I've just had a right to do trying to post, as it repeatedly wouldn't let me into this space! Success at last!

The horn sound in the above video was nicely sonorous. I just wish that the camera had been sited differently so that we could have had some close-ups!

Thank you for sharing this video.

Regards,

Polly.

Contact Us | All times are UTC