~~ Classical Music Mayhem!! ~~

The classical music forum where the MUSIC comes first!
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Classical Music Mayhem!! The multi-media Classical Music Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You can browse the topics in most of the forums but by joining our free community you will have full access to post messages and create topics; download attachments; communicate privately with other members (PM), email and chat room; respond to polls; upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

You can log in as soon as you have submitted your registration, no waiting for email confirmation.

Post subject: Beautiful Sound - The French Horn and virtuoso performers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:01 am 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Beautiful Sounds---The French Horn and virtuoso performers.

There is such a wealth of material at hand that it is both difficult to know where to start, or what approach/s I should make.

Glancing through my pile of bitty notes I fear that we will be making a wide sweep and a roundabout route through this interesting topic!

Digiti expressed a desire for me to do something similar to my recent Trumpet postings and I know that Rod likes the Horn, too. I hope that I satisfy and don’t annoy with my wanderings!!!

I will begin by saying that the term French Horn is unwieldy and that modern usage usually refers to it as a “Horn”---so I shall do just that, unless it is some type in particular.

The sound of the Horn is distinctive, with its richer mellow tones, and of course the difficulties the performer faces in playing it. I have only a slight knowledge of the technical and musical aspects and my brain refuses to absorb more! So I am judging solely on the sounds produced, and the player’s virtuosity that I detect as I listen. Of course I can’t help learning, and absorbing as I go, but mine is a very amateur assessment and I should welcome anyone with brass experience or better still, knowledge of the Horn to join in and comment.

The Horn, of course belongs to our very distant past, when it was a crude method of communicating during the hunt. It evolved over time to become much more sophisticated, with simple tunes played for various kills, at the end of a hunt. The centre of such activity had to be “Mittel-Europe”, with its vast forests teeming with wild pigs, foxes, bears, wolves and lesser prey. The Czech, Hungarian and Croatian peoples produced many fine hornplayers, because they were “in situ”.

Telemann wrote for the hunting horn--- “Suite for Hunting Horns and Orchestra in D major”. This is presented by the Rallye Louverts de Paris and Orchestra de Chambre directed by Jean Frances Paillard , and recorded in1967.

Telemann’s accompaniment is very pleasant but until the ears adjust the horns blare forth rather crudely—and it is wise to turn down the volume! This eventually evens out, but it is plain to hear that the modern horn that has evolved has come rather a long way! This video is illustrated by a rather fine portrait of a young man playing his hunting horn.

Later you will see that Telemann composed for the (French)Horn , too, but the music will appear as I introduce the individual hornists.

Next, still in the hunting mode, but with natural horns, is the Czech ensemble, Collegium Musicum Pragense. This group is formed of leading hornists from Prague’s orchestras and as this video shows they demonstrate their talent. They play a composition by Ondrej Anton---“Hunting Pieces for the Fox Hunt for French Horns”.

Finally I am including a video of baroque music. composed by Knechtel, Quantz, Röllig and an Anonymous composer, entitled “Baroque Horn Concertos”. The soloist is the virtuoso Barry Tuckwell and he is accompanied very competently by the Academy of St-Martin-in-the–Fields, directed by Iona Brown. It is a very pleasant video , performed by excellent musicians.

We may return to Barry Tuckwell later, as his talent is of such note, but he appears here because of the Baroque nature of the attachment fitting in with today’s posting.

This enough for now so I will continue another time.

Regards,

Polly.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Beautiful Sound - The French Horn and virtuoso performer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:52 pm 
MAJOR
MAJOR

Dear Polly, Here is an example of natural horn playing at the highest level by Herman Bauman playing the first movement of Mozart's First Horn Concerto:

De gustibus non est disputandum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:05 pm 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Thankyou Digiti, for your attachment of the Mozart piece played by Herman Baumann.

He was, of course, on my list, but you got there first! He is a player whose performances I very much admire. as he produces an especially rich tone and his work is beautifully phrased, demonstrating his musicality.

As you have led off, so will I follow! Firstly I have an Interview where he expounds upon his early years. It is conducted in German but there are English subtitles. His charisma is very evident, and as he gestures and talks he comes across as a very likeable man---gifted, but who nevertheless works very hard on improving his playing. He is fun---and has a very lively sense of humour. I enjoyed this interview very much, as it explains such a lot about him.

Baumann has been taxed with his rich tone sometimes resembling that of the Euphonium! It does have dark , rich depths, but virtuoso that he is, he can vary it greatly such as when a lighter touch is required. The attraction for me, apart from the tone, is that he phrases so well and makes the Horn sing the melody.

Mozart wrote some lovely Horn material and in the following attachment of “Four Horn Concertos”, Herman Baumann does them full justice . He was accompanied by St.Paul Chamber Orchestra directed by Pinchus Zukerman, and it was recorded in 1984.

A composition that shows to perfection his tonal qualities and legato, and is highly praised, is the “Glière Horn Concerto”. Lovely sonorous sounds are a feature of this. He is accompanied by the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, directed by Kurt Masur.

Finally I am presenting a ”Hermann Baumann-Horn Tribute-Homenaje “, another lengthy video clip which features brief excerpts from many compositions and a variety of composers. It is well labelled and at intervals there is an explanatory paragraph. I had an enjoyable and informative time listening to this video but admit that towards the end the works of several modern composers and some jazz, pleased me less!

I hope that you find something to enjoy in the above videos.

Regards,

Polly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:43 pm 
JOVE THE MIGHTY THUNDERER

pollyp78 wrote:
Digiti expressed a desire for me to do something similar to my recent Trumpet postings and I know that Rod likes the Horn, too. I hope that I satisfy and don’t annoy with my wanderings!!!

Thanks for your latest brass-feast Polly. This thread should indeed satisfy me, though the natural horns will satisfy more! I've been too exhausted to check out the videos today but be assured I'll add some comments to this thread over the coming days.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:45 pm 

pollyp78 wrote:
Telemann wrote for the hunting horn--- “Suite for Hunting Horns and Orchestra in D major”. This is presented by the Rallye Louverts de Paris and Orchestra de Chambre directed by Jean Frances Paillard , and recorded in1967.

Telemann’s accompaniment is very pleasant but until the ears adjust the horns blare forth rather crudely—and it is wise to turn down the volume! This eventually evens out, but it is plain to hear that the modern horn that has evolved has come rather a long way! This video is illustrated by a rather fine portrait of a young man playing his hunting horn.

This performance sounds terrible, I can't believe it was released commercially on Erato??

Of course for the ultimate natural horn experience one must turn to Handel...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:50 pm 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Hi TMT,
Thankyou for your reply. I agree that the hunting horns were rather horrific! :)

I will view Handel's "Watermusic" later today, but did have time for the Opera video, which I didn't know.

What delightful light, rhythmic, melodic music! I was quite charmed and the player of the natural horn was great. I had my eldest great-granddaughter here with me, so was able to show her the natural horn and explain something about it's evolution into the modern horn, which she has seen in orchestras on the Internet.

The appearance and singing by Andreas Scholl was another plus. it was a first for Emma, too, who hadn't heard of such a thing as a countertenor, before!

Thankyou for providing those pleasurable moments

Regards,

Polly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:31 pm 

pollyp78 wrote:
Next, still in the hunting mode, but with natural horns, is the Czech ensemble, Collegium Musicum Pragense. This group is formed of leading hornists from Prague’s orchestras and as this video shows they demonstrate their talent. They play a composition by Ondrej Anton---“Hunting Pieces for the Fox Hunt for French Horns”.

Not sure if these horns are natural, sound like regular French horns to me. Certainly I'd be surprised if a Supraphon recording from the mid-70's used period instruments. The photos I've seen of Collegium Musicum Pragense show them holding modern instruments. Anyway the music itself contains some moderately entertaining moments. These are not really concert pieces however, fortunately for the urban foxes there are not too many hunts running through Romford these days!

Here's a quick guide to the natural horn from the South Bank Centre...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:36 pm 

pollyp78 wrote:
Hi TMT,
Thankyou for your reply. I agree that the hunting horns were rather horrific! :)

I will view Handel's "Watermusic" later today, but did have time for the Opera video, which I didn't know.

What delightful light, rhythmic, melodic music! I was quite charmed and the player of the natural horn was great. I had my eldest great-granddaughter here with me, so was able to show her the natural horn and explain something about it's evolution into the modern horn, which she has seen in orchestras on the Internet.

The appearance and singing by Andreas Scholl was another plus. it was a first for Emma, too, who hadn't heard of such a thing as a countertenor, before!

Thankyou for providing those pleasurable moments

Regards,

Polly.

You're welcome. The opera extract is of course from Giulio Cesare, quite a famous piece. I presume Handel had a very good hornist at his disposal to produce such an aria as this. The Fire/Water music is the fantastic concert at the Proms with Hervé Niquet and Le Concert Spirituel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:35 am 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Hi TMT,

Thankyou for providing the video on the Natural Horn (from the South bBank Centre).

Unfortunately I could catch very little of what the narrator said, even at full volume but
I did learn from watching her demonstration and also could hear the horn examples.

Now I am going to watch Hervé Niquet's performance of Handel's "Watermusic", which i know, from prior listening I will enjoy!

Regards

Polly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:01 pm 
MAJOR
MAJOR

Dear Rod and Polly,

If you really want to hear some raw and rauchous like the Teleman hunting horn piece above see if you can find N.Haroncourt's first recording of the complete Handel's Water Music.When I first heard it I thought that all HIP performances sounded like that; fortunately I was wrong.

De gustibus non est disputandum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:51 am 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Re:- The French Horn

The other evening I accidently stumbled on Barry Tuckwell's 3 part video on the evolution of the French Horn. I found it to be thorough and far superior to the earlier posting on the natural horn. As a virtuoso performer he knows his instrument inside out and has made it his business to study its history and development.

The instruction is very interesting as well as informative and contains some good musical excerpts as examples. I hope that you will enjoy Barry's Sessions.

I will be dealing with him further in a later posting as he is such an outstanding figure in the horn world---and anyway I like his style and never tire of hearing him perform!

Regards,

Polly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:11 pm 

Digiti wrote:
Dear Rod and Polly,

If you really want to hear some raw and rauchous like the Teleman hunting horn piece above see if you can find N.Haroncourt's first recording of the complete Handel's Water Music.When I first heard it I thought that all HIP performances sounded like that; fortunately I was wrong.

I have some terrible Harnoncourt recordings from the 1970s (Handel oratorios) with period instruments. Admittedly his awkward shaping of the music is not the only problem, the singing is horrific too.

polly78 wrote:
The other evening I accidently stumbled on Barry Tuckwell's 3 part video on the evolution of the French Horn. I found it to be thorough and far superior to the earlier posting on the natural horn. As a virtuoso performer he knows his instrument inside out and has made it his business to study its history and development.

The instruction is very interesting as well as informative and contains some good musical excerpts as examples. I hope that you will enjoy Barry's Sessions.

I've just been watching all three videos and enjoyed them. Some nice music in there, especially Beethoven's horn sonata in the second video! The pianist underplays his part but that is not unusual with this sonata. Thanks Polly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:27 am 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Oops, my apologies!

Thankyou for your comments TMT.

I was re-listening to the Barry Tuckwell lesson series and at the conclusion of lesson 2 the screen melted into a YouTube Mix.
Wow, there WAS a part 4 after all! I had scoured the related YT videos but hadn’t found a trace of it, earlier.This part had some light-hearted , amusing moments!

At the conclusion of Part 4 the narration obviously continues, but again I couldn’t find anything despite accessing the channel of the uploader, Angelo Bonaccorso.

The contributor of the Barry Tuckwell videos is himself a horn soloist.and appeared to be confident in a performance of his that i watched, which was of Mozart Concerto N. 3 KV447, at a Benefit Concert for OrphaIs in Mwesa-Ditu, Congo.

Then I did have some luck with the website, “French Horn Videos-David Werden Publications”, which listed 5 lessons. I clicked on No 5 only to be faced with disappointment as it stated that “it contained content from Harmonia Mundi who has blocked it on copyright grounds”.

The David Werden page also has a long list of horn players, who can be accessed at

http://www.dwerden.com/music-videos/hor ... videos.cfm ----- in a similar manner to the one in the Virtuoso Trumpet Topic.

My eyes get tired very quickly dealing with closer work at the moment so I will be back again another day with the next episode of the Barry Tuckwell saga!!!

Regards,

Polly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:06 pm 

pollyp78 wrote:
Oops, my apologies!

Thankyou for your comments TMT.

I was re-listening to the Barry Tuckwell lesson series and at the conclusion of lesson 2 the screen melted into a YouTube Mix.
Wow, there WAS a part 4 after all! I had scoured the related YT videos but hadn’t found a trace of it, earlier.This part had some light-hearted , amusing moments!

Thanks for the fourth installment. Mozart's written commentary for Leutgeb must be unique, though perhaps, at least as portrayed in the above video, Mozart took a joke too far!? :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:25 am 
COLONEL
COLONEL

Barry Tuckwell , the noted Hornplayer was born in Australia in 1931. He is a contemporary of mine, being only three months older! Another interesting fact is that his sister, Patricia married George Lascelles, the Earl of Harewood, and cousin to the Queen. I well remember all the hoo-ha in the press associated with his divorce and this second marriage of his.

Barry had a musical education and studied piano and organ and was a chorister at St. Andrews Cathedral, Sydney. He was introduced to the French Horn at the age of 13 and was playing professionally within 6 months and then in the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra when he was 15 and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra under Eugene Goosens one year later.This talented youngster was obviously off to a flying start!

By 1951 when he was 20, he was in England and playing in the Hallé Orchestra under Sir John Barbirolli .He moved on to The Scottish National Orchestra and then the Bournmouth Symphony Orchestra and finally became 1st horn in the LSO in 1955, and spent 13 years with them. He resigned in 1968 to conduct and pursued a career as a soloist for the next 30 years.

He also toured with the Wind Quintet which he founded in 1969, as well as guest - conducting some leading orchestras. He had a long association with the Northern Sinfonia and also founded the Maryland Symphony Orchestra. A busy man, he performed and taught, gaining accolades and honours as he went.

One of his ventures was the Barry Tuckwell Institute which held a course annually for horn players. This was for all ages and grades of players who were welcomed and encouraged to progress according to their abilities. Barry Tuckwell wished everyone to enjoy playing the horn in a supportive environment.

I read up the blog of someone attending the course in Colorado for the second year running. She spoke in glowing terms of the atmosphere, tuition, and comradeship which advanced her playing considerably. All the comments on the internet have spoken of Barry’s approachable, friendly and amusing nature and general charisma.

We have already heard Barry playing compositions by Baroque composers, and then the examples in his lesson series. Now I should like to attach a video of him performing the Rondo from Mozart’s K 371. He is ably supported by the orchestra of the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, directed by Sir Neville Marriner. it has both quick passages and some lovely sonorous legato bits. He plays this with some nice expressive light and shade. Like Herman Baumann he believes that before getting to play you should firstly sing the melody. This is reflected in the lovely singing quality of their horn performance.

Another video which I should like to present, for contrast, is the Beethoven Horn Sonata. Here he is accompanied on the piano by Vladimir Ashkenazy. The filmed graphics, I found to be a trifle dizzying, with its succession of escalators, stairs and revolving doors! However the performance was pleasing, although I know that TMT will have some comments and qualifications to make---as it is Beethoven!

I think that it is time to conclude , hoping that you have enjoyed listening to Barry Tuckwell’s performances.

Regards,

Polly

Contact Us | All times are UTC